The Business and Politics of Passenger Rail; 2013-12-31
A Companion Digest of Events, Opinions, and Forecasts to
This Week at Amtrak
By J. Bruce Richardson,
United Rail Passenger Alliance, Inc.
America’s foremost passenger rail policy institute
Jacksonville, Florida • United States of America
Telephone 904-636-7739, Electronic Mail email@example.com • www.unitedrail.org
Volume 3, Number 5
Founded in 1976 by the late Austin Coates, URPA is a nationally known policy institute which focuses on solutions and plans for passenger rail systems in North America. Headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida, URPA has professional associates in Minnesota, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Virginia, Texas, New York, and other locations. For more detailed information, along with a variety of position papers and other documents and a compendium of This Week at Amtrak, visit the URPA web site.
URPA is not a membership organization.
It’s here, the first URPA passenger train calendar. You can choose from a full year single page version, or 12 individual monthly pages chocked full of selected passenger train events and dates.
The photographs are all from the personal files of URPA passenger train professionals, with one guest photo included.
As we move forward into the new year we hope you enjoy using the URPA 2014 passenger train calendar as much as we enjoyed putting it together.
Happy new year to all.
You can download the convenient .pdf files below.
J. Bruce Richardson
United Rail Passenger Alliance, Inc.
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Useful links for the passenger train world:
(No new links have been added since the last edition)
- 2012-03-22: All Aboard Florida Proposed private service between Miami and Orlando
- 2011-11-15: Amtrak private industry status map Constantly updated status map of all Amtrak system trains
- Arizona Rail Passenger Association
- Association of American Railroads
- Association of Independent Passenger Rail Operators
- Bombardier, Inc.
- Caltrans/California Department of Transportation
- Colorado Rail Passenger Association
- Corridor Capital Passenger Rail Development Developers of passenger rail cars and equipment and regional rail management
- Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
- Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
- Federal Railroad Administration
- Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers
- Florida Department of Transportation
- Florida East Coast Railway Regional railroad on the east coast of Florida
- Friends of Tampa Union Station
- Hamilton & Associates, Inc.
- Herzog Transit Services, Inc.
- Illinois Department of Transportation
- Intermodal Transportation Institute, University of Denver
- Iowa Pacific Holdings, LLC
- J. Craig Thorpe Noted Amtrak and railroad illustrator
- Keolis Rail Services/America
- North Carolina Department of Transportation, Rail Division
- Passenger Rail Kansas Advocacy Group
- 2011-11-05: Passenger Rail North Texas Advocacy Group
- R.H. Bohannan & Associates, LLC
- Rail Passenger Assoc. of California & Nevada
- RailAmerica, Inc.
- Railroad Data – Internet information consolidator
- Ratp Dev
- Rocky Mountaineer Railtours
- Saratoga and North Creek Railway
- Scottish Thistle private rail car
- Spartan Solutions LLC
- 2011-11-16: SunRail Central Florida commuter service under construction New transit system now being built
- 2011-10-24: Texas Assoc. of Rail Passengers
- Thompson, Galenson and Associates
- Trainweb – Internet information consolidator
- 2011-11-05: Tri-Rail commuter railroad in South Florida South Florida Regional Transportation Authority commuter railroad
- United States Department of Transportation
- Veolia Transportation
- Vermont Rail Action Network
- VIA Rail Canada
- Virginia Department of Transportation
- Volpe Center
- World Bank
If you would like to have your company or organization’s Internet web site link listed, submit it for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inclusion will be at the sole discretion of the publisher, and the publisher reserves the right to exclude any company or organization for any purpose. This list is not intended to be a complete list.
Subscribers to This Week at Amtrak automatically receive a subscription to The Business and Politics of Passenger Rail; subscriber lists are maintained simultaneously for both publications, and neither publication can be subscribed to exclusively.If you are reading someone else’s copy of The Business and Politics of Passenger Rail, you can receive your own free copy each edition by sending your e-mail address to
You MUST include your name, preferred e-mail address, and city and state where you live. If you have filters or firewalls placed on your Internet connection, set your e-mail to receive incoming mail from email@example.com; we are unable to go through any approvals processes for individuals. This mailing list is kept strictly confidential and is not shared or used for any purposes other than distribution of The Business and Politics of Passenger Rail, This Week at Amtrak, or related URPA materials.
All other correspondence, including requests to unsubscribe should be addressed to
Copies of The Business and Politics of Passenger Rail and This Week at Amtrak are archived on URPA’s web site, www.unitedrail.org, and also on todaywithjb.blogspot.com where other rail-related writings of Bruce Richardson may also be found.
URPA leadership members are available for speaking engagements.